Welcome to the first part of our occasional series on sewing hacks – little tricks and tips that will make your life as a sewer easier.
We are starting with one of our favorites – the humble elastic band.
If like me…
- you can never quite remember which combination of needle position and line on the sewing machine plate gives you the seam allowance you need,
- you find it hard to keep an eye on the little line on the sewing machine plate as you sew,
- you are interrupted when sewing on a continual basis, by your adoring family, and so forget what seam allowance you are working with on your current project,
then stick an elastic band over your sewing machine arm, lining it up with your chosen seam allowance. It will….
- Act as a reminder of which line on your sewing machine plate you are working against.
- Show up better than that little line on the sewing machine plate as you feed your fabric through.
- Give you something to run the fabric up against, helping you keep it straight as you sew.
This small change, has taken sooooo much stress out of sewing for me, I give all my new Sewing School students a free elastic band when they join and strongly recommend you give it a go!